Do you fold up you pizza and eat it?
Stromboli basically is a pizza rolled up into a loaf and baked. Really, it’s as simple as that.
- Serves 4-6
- Prep time 5-10 min, Cooking time 15 min
- Great activity with the kids
- 1 ½ cup coarsely grated swiss or gruyere cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- ¾ cup pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 150 g ROMA Pepperoni 88 sliced, cut into ½ inch ribbons
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 deg.
- 2 Mix 1 cup of swiss cheese with the mozzarella. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
- 3 Cut dough in half and roll out into two 6 x 9 inch rectangles and put on prepared pan. Spread half of the cheese mixture along one long side of each piece, leaving one inch border between the edge and the cheese.
- 4 Top each mound with half of the basil , ¼ of the olives, ¼ cup tomato sauce and 1/2 of the Pepperoni.
- 5 Fold dough over the filling lengthwise, pressing the edges to seal. Make slits in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
- 6 Bake until browned, about 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- 7 If you like it more messy:
Brush each piece with remaining olive oil and top with remaining ingredients, finishing with the cheese.
Return to oven until cheese has melted and the crust is golden. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.