Do you fold up you pizza and eat it?
Stromboli basically is a pizza rolled up into a loaf and baked. Really, it’s as simple as that.
- Serves 4-6
Prep time 5-10 min, Cooking time 15 min
Great activity with the kids
- 1 ½ cup coarsely grated swiss or gruyere cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- ¾ cup pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 150 g ROMA Pepperoni 88 sliced, cut into ½ inch ribbons
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 deg.
Mix 1 cup of swiss cheese with the mozzarella. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
Cut dough in half and roll out into two 6 x 9 inch rectangles and put on prepared pan. Spread half of the cheese mixture along one long side of each piece, leaving one inch border between the edge and the cheese.
Top each mound with half of the basil , ¼ of the olives, ¼ cup tomato sauce and 1/2 of the Pepperoni.
Fold dough over the filling lengthwise, pressing the edges to seal. Make slits in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
Bake until browned, about 15 minutes and remove from oven.
If you like it more messy:
Brush each piece with remaining olive oil and top with remaining ingredients, finishing with the cheese.
Return to oven until cheese has melted and the crust is golden. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.