Turkey stuffing, Italian style
So your a big fan of Italian sausage? Make a sausage stuffing for the holidays.The fennel seed in the sausage really bring out the dish.
- Serves 12
- Prep time 60 min, Cooking time 30 min stuffing only
- Makes it a much more tastier bird
- 2 loaves Italian bread (2 pounds), crusts removed and bread cut into 3/4-inch cubes (20 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 packs Roma Finocchio Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 large onions—cubed
- 1 large celery rib, finely diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sage leaves
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the bread cubes in a large roasting pan and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dry and lightly browned.
- 2 In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, breaking up the meat, until browned and no trace of pink remains, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the chopped onion, celery and garlic and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the sage and butter.
- 3 Scrape the mixture into a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and toss. Stir in 2 cups of the stock and season with salt and pepper.
- 4 Increase the oven temperature to 450°. Spoon 5 cups of the stuffing into the turkey and Spoon the remaining stuffing into a shallow 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- 5 Bake our turkey and the remaining stuffing until the stuffing is heated through and crisp on top.