During the holidays, take the opportunity to get together and enjoy a good Christmas meal with succulent seasonal fruits and vegetables. As a starter, we will prepare a chestnut velouté with grilled chorizo. For the main meal, we’ll be making a roast turkey with pistachios and sausage.
Chestnut velouté with grilled chorizo
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 8
- 6 tbsp. (90 ml) butter
- chopped shallots
- 600 g chestnuts (vacuum weighed)
- 6 cups of chicken broth (1.5 l)
- 2 cups of 15% cream (500 ml)
- ½ tsp. nutmeg (2 ml)
- 20 slices of skinless Aliments Roma grilled chorizo
- 4 tbsp. chives (60 ml)
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a pot, melt the butter and cook the shallots and chestnuts for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the cream and simmer again for about 3 minutes before putting it into the food processor.
- Garnish and complete with nutmeg. Finally, add the grilled chorizo and chives. To taste, season with pepper and salt.
Roast turkey with pistachios and sausage
Preparation time: 55 minutes
Cooking time: 2h20
Number of servings: 12
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1 egg
- 1 lb (454 g) Roma mild Italian or fennel sausage meat (about 4 sausages)
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 roast turkey, about 4 lb (1.8 kg), with or without the skin, untied (two half breasts)
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- Butcher’s twine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sherry
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) green pistachios, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) honey
- In a large bowl, mix the egg, milk and bread well. Complete with garlic, cranberries and Roma sausages. Season with pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Put the rack in the bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- On a shelf, break up the turkey roast and open it flat, with the skin side down. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the stuffing in the middle of the breasts. Close the roast. Pass the twine under the meat, making it protrude on each side. Tie and cut the excess twine. Freeze at this stage if you wish.
- Place the roast in a large baking dish. Season the roast with pepper, salt and oil.
- Bake for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the middle of the stuffing reads 74°C (165°F). If necessary, add a little water to the dish so as not to burn the cooking juices. Set the cooking juices aside for the sauce. Let the turkey rest while making the sauce.
- In a skillet, brown the garlic and onion in the butter. Add the flour and mix well. Add the pan juices, sherry and broth. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Simmer over high heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with pepper and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the parsley and pistachios. Remove the twine from the roast and spread the honey. Spread the pistachio mixture on top of the turkey.